Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Da Na Na Na Na Na Na! You say it's your birthday!

Da Na Na Na Na Na Na! It's my birthday, too! Yeah!



On my birthday in history - 

Events:

1818
Illinois became the 21st state in the United States.

1833
Oberlin College in Ohio became the first coed institution of higher learning in the U.S.

1979
In Cincinnati, Ohio, eleven fans are killed during a stampede for seats before a Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum.

1967
Dr. Christiaan Barnard performs the first successful heart transplant in Cape Town, South Africa.

1984
Deadly gas leaks from a Union Carbide plant in Bhopal, India , killing more than 2,000 people and injuring 200,000.


Birthdays:

1948 - Ozzy Osbourne, English singer ("singer" in the loosest sense of the word.)

1955 - Warren Jeffs, American convicted polygamist (Poster-child for dirty old men.)

1960 - Daryl Hannah, American actress ("actress" in the loosest sense of the word.)

1965 - Katarina Witt, German figure skater ("Super hot Olympic skater" in the strictest sense of the word.)

1968 - Brendan Fraser, American actor ("actor" in the loosest sense of the word.)

Overall not the worst day to be born. A nice mix of positive events - Illinois begat Chicago, Co-ed colleges begat my wife, heart transplants begat life saving - and tragedies - The Who begat the end of "festival seating," Union Carbide begat mass killing. Unfortunately, others who share my birthday, with the exception of Katarina Witt, seem to be marginally talented hacks and/or total creeps. I hope that doesn't reflect on me.

One final thought:

Lines On Facing Forty

I have a bone to pick with Fate.
Come here and tell me, girlie,
Do you think my mind is maturing late,
Or simply rotted early?

-- Ogden Nash


No comments: