Saturday, November 29, 2008

'Tis the Season


Thanksgiving went by in a blur and we are already supposed to start thinking about Christmas, but I just can't get in the mood.  There is no snow on the ground. It's been very bright and sunny lately.  It is cold, but by no means bitter.  It still feels more like fall then like the holiday season.  At least it did, until this morning.  

Running my regular route down to Lake Harriet at 5:15 in the morning, in the dark, slightly sensory deprived in the dark, with my ears under a thick hat, I ran by Sunnyside Gardens.  Sometime in the last four days they got their order of Christmas trees.  The scent was a heavenly surprise and I broke into a wide smile and breathed deeply.  As I was basking in the memories of past Christmases triggered by the sweet smell of freshly cut pine, I remembered that there is another little tree lot about half a mile down the road in a little park I run by.  And there it was, my second hit of the holiday season.  There is something about that smell of Christmas that makes me smile more than anything else.  To get the opportunity to enjoy it by myself early in the morning made it all the sweeter.

No comments: